Friday 23 January 2015

Baba Low's 486, Bangsar

Going back to my hometown soon so we can start the Chinese New Year (CNY) baking! This year we're making 4 types of snack: Suji biscuits, Seaweed Popiah, Almond Brittle and Honey Cornflakes! The other types of snack liks pineapple tarts and prawn rolls will probably be bought because it's just too much work to make from scratch :P

Btw, I have two books sitting next to me waiting for me to be read but I kind of lost all working motivation so I decided that today will be my cheat day! No work, just blogging and catching up on Running Man! WOOT! Okay, maybe I'll squeeze in some time to read later when I'm done making myself happy, lolol.

Last week, I had nyonya cuisine for lunch! 

Baba Low's 486
Lorong Kurau, Bangsar

I'm not a very big fan of nyonya food because somehow the cuisine makes my tongue and brain confused :S But I don't mind having them once in a while. Oh, I obviously don't mind having Portuguese steam fish! Wait, is Portuguese fish a Nyonya cuisine??

Baba Low's 

This shop is quite hidden. It's not situated at the Telawi area where usually food shops are at. So I consider it a hidden gem since it isn't so easy to spot but the food hunt trip was worth it!

On the side note, just thinking this thought out loud.. Are there very limited baba names? I often hear the name Baba Low. I've never heard of like... Baba Chan :S 

My table and the serenity view from my seat

Wooden tables and chairs

Interior of Baba Low's

Huge menu board. Check it out for the day's special.

 Baba Low is a very simple shop. Nothing fancy,it actually looks like a cleaner version of our normal coffee shops. Coffee shops as in hawker food centre not coffee shops like Starbucks LOL Good thing about places like this is that my meal would definately be cheaper than RM10!

This is how I judge my food:

  • < RM3 Very Cheap
  • RM3 to RM4 Cheap
  • RM5 to RM10 Affordable
  • RM11 to RM16 Pricey
  • RM 17 to RM30 Once in two weeks indulgence
  • > RM30 Big occasions i.e. Birthdays, Anniversary, Graduation, Hen Night, Baby Shower etc

Menu

So most of the items found on the menu is within my "Affordable" range so that makes me a happy eater! I usually cook during weekdays so weekend is eating out day! Usually I'll treat myself food from the Affordable to the Pricey range but of course cheaper is always better LOL

Here is what you can get with RM10 in your pocket:

Nyonya Laksa RM7

This Nyonya Laksa was yummy! The gravy tasted like those Lemak/ Lodeh Sayur's gravy! Quite generous with ingrediants such as fishcakes, tofu ad egg. Also, I noticed that they are very generous with shredded cucumbers. 

You can choose to have yellow noodles, mee siam or kuey teow to go with your Laksa. I'm always with the yellow noodles if I'm having laksa or curry mee. 

Mee Siam RM6

They gave me a lot of mee siam and a lot of shredded cucumbers! I like it that the mee siam was moist enough even without having gravy poured on top. The mee siam didn't had as much ingrediants as the laksa though. 

Drinks was Ice Water, RM0.50. Yes water is not free here unlike N Square Restaurant. Iced tea was RM2.50. Tea probably isn't their forte. It tasted quite bitter and diluted, not enough milky taste too so paying RM2.50 for that was too much.

Oh ya, the parking spaces there are very limited so you gotta somehow squeeze your car and jump down for lunch. The bright side, it's a very quiet area so somehow you will get your parking, one way or another.

No comments:

Post a Comment